The Sun Patch Garden was started in the spring of 2015 by the convergence of three groups.
Washington University medical school students and staff
- devoted to civic engagement and student education
- enhancement through community gardening
- Adams Elementary strives for EXCELLENCE in education
- helping all students use their bodies, minds and spirits to make a difference in the world.
Adams Park Boys and Girls Club of Great St. Louis
- Summer Camp youth 6-18
- fun and dynamic experience
- sparks creativity
- engagement and exploration
- learning activities & STEM programs
The original garden located at 1401 Tower Grove Ave, had gone fallow.
A group from Washington University approached Adams Elementary and Adams Park about revitalizing for a youth garden.
Grants from Gateway Greening the Gephardt Institute allowed for the revitalization of existing beds as well as instillation of 4 additional beds.
After a very successful first year the land was purchased for development, the garden was relocated across the street and incorporated into an inactive fountain area.
The current garden contains:
- 10 annual vegetable beds
- 6 perennial flower, fruit and vegetable beds
- A small outdoor seating area
- A storage container
- A garden mural painted by Girls on the Run